Tuesday, June 17, 2008

AB Tech Walk (with Neil Thomas)


View Larger Map
Neil Thomas and I walked from Montford (he picked me up on foot at my house on Pearson) to AB Tech to visit Pete Kennedy, GIS and map-making expert, to talk about the Citizen-Times "ning" on "Changing Places." We walked back by a different route and stopped at the Green Man Brewery for a beer and where Neil was meeting an old friend. I walked home from there alone. One thing that struck me on this walk was when I was walking and taking pictures I felt like a tourist, but when I put the camera away and was walking home alone at around 6 p.m. with a day pack on my back, I felt like a houseless man heading for the mission. These "felt likes" are of course projections. But it's curious how I imagine people in cars view people, like me, who are on foot. Who walks in this town? What does walking mean?

No comments: